Staff Job Descriptions, Terms, and Duties
This page includes the following:
As per Article V, Section 2 of the Sheroes, Inc. Bylaws, “staff” includes Administrators (Admins), Moderators (Mods), and Trainees.
The general purpose of Admins is to ensure the smooth daily functioning of the forums, in compliance with forum rules and policies. To this end, Admins must read and contribute meaningfully to forum topics on a regular basis, particularly but not exclusively topics which require Admin attention due to disciplinary or policy concerns. The Admin job responsibilities as laid out below do not constitute an exhaustive list of their duties, but may help to establish the broad scope of their job:
Technical: resetting passwords; deleting spam; moving misplaced posts; pinning/ unpinning topics; adjusting software settings and forum structure; resolving members’ technical difficulties.
Disciplinary: establishing rules and policies; communicating the rules clearly to forum members; monitoring the forums for rule infractions; and when necessary enforcing the rules through disciplinary actions. Disciplinary actions may include but are not limited to: editing members’ posts, and issuing warnings, suspensions, or bans to individual members.
Communication: responding to member and potential member questions and concerns; communicating individual concerns and actions to the rest of the Admin Team.
The Admin Team is responsible for establishing their own internal policies where not otherwise specified in the bylaws. The Admin Team is also responsible for communicating relevant policies to forum members.
Although the Lead Admin may assign specific tasks to individual Admins, in general every Admin is expected to participate in all aspects of the job. Admins who perform a specific task individually, such as responding to member queries, must inform the rest of the Admin Team of their actions by posting in the Admin Forum.
Admins are expected to follow all forum rules at all times and to exert self-discipline when posting, even when not acting in any official capacity as Admins. In the event of disciplinary infractions committed by an Admin, the rest of the Admin Team is responsible for disciplining the individual. Serious or repeated violations may prompt the Lead Admin to request that the Board of Directors dismiss an individual from the Admin Team.
This job description is intended as guidelines only and does not constitute a contract between Sheroes, Inc. and any so-titled individual. Admins must be 18 years of age or older.
1. Staff Terms and elections: Staff members must be re-elected to their position every three years. A positive vote from two-thirds of the rest of the active Admin Team is required for an individual to retain their position as an administrator. There is no limit on the number of consecutive terms a staff member may serve.
Voting will be conducted by poll in a restricted staff forum, and each vote will last for no more than two weeks. The Lead Admin is responsible for administering the polls, unless s/he delegates the task to another staff member. The Lead Admin (or their delegate) will contact the administrator who is up for re-election prior to conducting the voting to confirm whether they wish to remain on the Admin Team.
In order to stagger the voting throughout the year, the voting may take place up to three months earlier or later than the three-year anniversary of an individual’s actual start date or previous election, at the discretion of the Lead Admin. Individuals who were already on the Admin Team prior to this regulation going into effect (October 2014), and who have already been on the Admin Team for more than three years, should face election no less than one year and no more than three years from the date of this regulation going into effect, in staggered intervals.
If the Lead Admin is due to face a staff election during their tenure as Lead Admin, s/he shall delegate those election responsibilities to another member of the Admin Team.
2. New Staff: New staff applicants will be subject to a vote by the existing Admin Team, and require the support of two-thirds of active staff to pass. Administrators must be at least 18 years of age. Voting will be conducted by poll in a restricted staff forum, and each vote will last for no more than two weeks. The Lead Admin is responsible for administering the polls, unless s/he delegates the task to another staff member.
3. Staff Leaves of Absence: Staff members who wish to take a Leave of Absence from the Admin Team may do so by notifying the rest of the staff. A Leave of Absence must be of fixed duration, and may not exceed a cumulative total of six months (182 days) within any 365-day period. Staff members may return early from a Leave of Absence at their own request. Any individual who is unable or unwilling to return to full service after 6 months of absence will be removed from the Admin Team. In the event that they thereafter wish to resume participation in the administration of the forums, they may request to rejoin the Admin Team, subject to the same considerations as any other new staff member.
An absence of less than 30 days is not considered an official Leave of Absence.
4. Missing Staff: Any member of the Admin Team who has been absent without notifying other staff for 30 days or longer will be automatically placed on probation from the Admin Team. “Absent” for this purpose means a failure to contribute meaningfully to any topics in the forums, particularly topics which require admin attention. A failure to log in for 30 days will also be automatically considered an absence. The Lead Admin is responsible for contacting the probationary staff member at their email address on record and asking if they wish to become more active, or resign, or take a Leave of Absence of fixed duration not exceeding 6 months. If the Lead Admin is unable to make contact with the probationary staff member and has made at least two attempts, then the probationary staff member will automatically be removed from the Admin Team 30 days after the Lead Admin first attempted to contact them. In the event that they thereafter wish to return to participation in the administration of the forums, they may request to rejoin the Admin Team, subject to the same considerations as any other new staff applicant.
5. Inactive Staff: Staff members who are on probation or who are on a Leave of Absence exceeding 30 days are considered to be inactive. Inactive staff members may not vote in admin discussions or discipline forum members, and do not count towards or against a majority during votes. Inactive staff members may not hold the position of Lead Admin nor the position of Admin Rep. In the event that the person holding either of these positions becomes inactive or leaves the Admin Team entirely, new elections must be held as soon as possible.
6. Staff Dismissal: Removal of a staff member from the Admin Team outside of the parameters described above must be approved by the Board of Directors upon request by the Lead Admin. If necessary, the Lead Admin may suspend staff members until the next Board meeting.
7. Staff Decisions: All disciplinary decisions undertaken by the Admin Team must have explicit support from 50 percent of active staff members and explicit disagreement from no more than 25 percent.
Decisions relating to policy and procedure changes should, where possible, have staff consensus; in the event that staff are unable to reach consensus after six weeks of discussion, a two-thirds majority of active staff will suffice.
Lead Administrator Job Description
As per Article V, Section 1 of the Sheroes, Inc. Bylaws, the positions of Lead Admin will be voted on annually by the Board of Directors in the last quarter of each calendar year for terms beginning January 1st. Each website owned by Sheroes, Inc. will have a Lead Admin selected from among the Admins on that website. The same individual may hold the positions of Lead Admin on both Sheroes Central and Nightingale’s Lamp so long as they are an active Admin on each site. The Lead Admin positions may not remain vacant, and may not overlap with a position on the Executive Committee of the Board. Any active Admin is eligible to serve. Admins may volunteer themselves for the positions and the Admin Team may suggest candidates, however the Board may choose to appoint any active Admin to serve as Lead Admin. There is no limit on the number of consecutive terms a staff member may serve as Lead Admin.
The Lead Admin role on the Admin Team is one of leadership and coordination. The Lead Admins are expected to take initiative in proposing new ideas and in moving stalled discussions forward. They are responsible for coordinating the activities of other staff members, for contacting errant staff, and for administering staffing polls, unless otherwise specified by the bylaws. They may delegate tasks to other staff members as they see fit. The Lead Admins are responsible for communicating to their counterpart on the other website any significant changes in Admin policy on their website.
The Lead Admins may attend any Board meetings at their own discretion. They may not vote, but may offer opinions and voice concerns.
In addition to performing the tasks of an Admin, the Lead Administrators may assign or request an Admin to carry out or assist in such site maintenance tasks as to a) creating, modifying, removing, reordering, or reconciling fora; b) removing deactivated or inactive user accounts; c) adjusting forum security, email, registration, set up, user option, and style settings; d) blocking or unblocking IP addresses; posting, editing, deleting, pinning and unpinning announcements; e) compiling and presenting usage statistics; and f) editing the underlying software and files in ways consistent with the goals and intentions of Sheroes, Inc.
Qualifications and Requirements:
Reliable internet access. Familiarity with message boards and specifically with the Sheroes, Inc. group of message boards. Good communication and interpersonal skills. Comfort with email and instant messaging. Ability and willingness to understand and learn to apply new technological skills and information. Interest in the health and well-being of adolescent girls, across many cultures. Ability to ask for help when needed.
Lines of Communication:
The Lead Admin reports to the Sheroes, Inc. Board of Directors. The Admins and Mods of all Sheroes, Inc. sites report to the Lead Admin, though the Lead Admin or the Board of Directors may create intermediate reporting paths.
These job descriptions are intended as guidelines and do not constitute a contract between Sheroes, Inc. and any so-titled individual.
Please note that a previous version of the staff job descriptions may be viewed here. It was rendered obsolete by the Sheroes, Inc. Bylaw Amendments that were voted into effect on October 25, 2014 and on June 14, 2015.